1 Tbsp butter for ramekins
1 Tbsp cocoa powder for ramekins
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped roughly
1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 ½ cup powdered icing sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch of cayenne
cinnamon hearts candy for serving
icing sugar for serving
1. Butter and coat six 3/4-cup soufflé dishes or ramekins (heart-shaped ramekins are perfect) with cocoa powder.
2. Stir chocolate and butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
3. Whisk eggs and egg yolks in large bowl to blend. Whisk in sugar, then slightly cooled chocolate mixture (add slowly so you don't cook the eggs!). Whisk in flour, chili powder, cinnamon and cayenne.
4. Pour batter into dishes, dividing equally. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
5. Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake cakes until sides are set but center remains soft and runny, about 9 - 11 minutes or up to 14 minutes for batter that was refrigerated (depending on the heat of your oven). Resist the urge to leave them in a few extra minutes as you might with any brownie or cake recipe. They will turn into mini chocolate cakes, which will still be delicious, but you won't get the full "lava" experience!
6. Run a small knife around cakes to loosen. Immediately turn cakes out onto plates. Serve with ice cream, fresh fruit or a dusting of icing sugar and some cinnamon hearts.