Mac & Cheese Lobster Roll
- serves 8
This comfort food creation is to die for with two kinds of cheese, pancetta, lobster and tender macaroni.
Click here to watch how to make this recipe.
¼ lb(s) macaroni
½ cup pancetta
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
½ cup butter
1 lb(s) cooked lobster meat or 1 lb from a tinCheese Sauce & Assembly
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
2 ⅔ cups milk
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 cups (8 oz) Gruyere, grated
1 cup (4 oz) sharp white Cheddar, grated
8 top-cut hot dog buns or soft buns
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook pasta as per instructions, drain and cool.
2. Cube pancetta and cook on low heat to render fat and make crisp. Remove from pan, reserve fat.
3. Put panko breadcrumbs in bowl. Add melted butter and reserved pancetta fat. Mix until evenly coated, set aside.
4. If you are using fresh lobster add approximately 2 inches of water and season well with salt in a medium pot. Bring to a boil.
5. Add your lobster to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes per pound. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
6. Once you can handle the lobster, remove meat from shell. Cut into 1-inch pieces.Cheese Sauce & Assembly
1. In large saucepan over medium heat, add butter and flour. Cook until it is light brown.
2. Slowly add your milk, whisking continuously.
3. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and cheese.
4. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes stir constantly.
5. Remove from heat and add cooked pasta and lobster and pancetta. Mix well and check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. Assembly: Toast panko breadcrumbs on parchment paper at 325ºF for 5 mins. Fill each bun with macaroni filling. Sprinkle toasted panko on top of the lobster roll. Serve with lemon wedge and squeeze lemon juice on top before enjoying.