Mac n' Me Crazy Cheese Balls
- prep time15 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 8
These cheese balls are great served with a marinara sauce!
Recipe courtesy of William Carswell and John O'Malley.
1 cup mozzarella
1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup white American cheese, shredded
1 cup white Cheddar, shredded
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 quart heavy cream
2 cups elbow pasta
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the elbow pasta to al dente. See package for instructions.
2. While the pasta is cooking, bring heavy cream to a simmer and slowly add in all cheeses, except for the Parmesan. Stir until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Drain pasta and add to cream and cheese mixture. Stir until all pasta is covered. Place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove from refrigerator and scoop pasta into balls, rolling until uniform and about 3 inches in diameter. Set aside.
5. In 3 separate bowls, place flour, whisked eggs, and breadcrumbs. Roll each individual pasta ball first into flour, then eggs, then roll in breadcrumbs.
6. Fill a deep saucepan with canola oil, enough to fill 3 inches of the pan. Heat the oil until 350ºF. Carefully drop pasta balls into heated oil and fry for about 3 1/2 minutes. Remove and drain balls on paper towel. While still hot, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.