Mango Ice Cream
- prep time 0 min
- total time 15 min
- serves 7
3 mango, (about 2lbs)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups cream, half-and-half
3 cardamom, pods, cracked
½ teaspoon vanilla
5 egg, yolks
½ cup sugar
1 cup cream, whipping
2. In saucepan, heat half-and-half with cardamom pods over medium-high heat just until bubbles form around edge.
3. Remove from heat; let steep for 5 minutes.
4. Strain into bowl; stir in vanilla.
5. In separate bowl, whisk eggs with sugar for 1 minute, gradually whisk in cream mixture.
6. Return to pan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 12 minutes or until thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon.
7. Immediately strain through fine sieve into bowl.
8. Stir in whipping cream.
9. Let cool to room temperature.
10. Place waxed paper directly on surface; refrigerate for at least 2 hours until chilled.
11. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
12. Peel, pit and coarsely chop mangoes.
13. In food processor, purée mangoes with sugar until smooth.
14. Press through sieve; fold into chilled custard.
15. Freeze in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.
16. Or transfer to chilled airtight container and freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
17. Break into pieces; purée in food processor.
18. Freeze again until firm or for up to three days.Yield: about 7 cups (1.75 L)