Maple Blancmange with Almond Praline
- serves 8
¼ cup whole almonds
¼ cup sugarMaple Blancmange
1 ½ Tbsp unflavoured gelatin
½ cup cold water
Butter, for ramekins
6 egg yolks
¾ cup maple syrup
4 cup milk
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put the sugar in a small pot.
3. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the almonds.
4. Heat over high heat until the sugar is a dark amber colour, about 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Swirl the pan to coat the almonds and pour the hot mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
7. Break the praline into chunks and put in a food processor.
8. On high speed, finely chop the praline.Maple Blancmange
1. Soak the gelatin in the 1/2 cup cold water in a small bowl.
2. Butter 8 6-oz. ramekins.
3. Put the egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk until thick and light yellow in colour.
4. While whisking, slowly add the maple syrup.
5. Put the milk, along with the vanilla bean and salt, in a medium saucepan on high heat and scald (heat to just below the boiling point.
6. While whisking, slowly add the hot milk to the egg yolk and maple syrup mixture.
7. Put the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until the blancmange coats the back of a spoon, about 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and whisk in the gelatin mixture until thoroughly dissolved.
9. Pour into 8 buttered ramekins.
10. Chill until firm, at least 8 hours.Assembly
1. Dip the bottoms of the ramekins in a pan of hot water and invert to unmould.
2. Serve the blancmange with the praline sprinkled on top.