Maple Cranberry Chicken Breasts with Rice and Broccoli
- serves 6
This recipe is part of a specially designed weekly meal plan. For a grocery list and other great recipes you can make in this meal plan, please click to the episode title above.
2 tsp prepared garlic
¼ cup flour
⅒ tsp salt
⅒ tsp pepper
⅒ tsp rosemary leaves
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts(675g)
3 green onions, cut
10 mushrooms, sliced
½ cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp water
¼ cup dried cranberries
5 cup frozen broccoli florets (450g)
½ tsp Mrs. Dash Table Blend seasoning
1 ½ cup basmati or white rice
3 cup water
1. Melt butter in frying pan on medium heat.
2. Add garlic.
3. Place flour, salt, pepper and rosemary in a bowl or plastic bag.
4. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture and brown in pan on both sides.
5. Add green onions and mushrooms to pan
6. Mix together maple syrup, vinegar and water.
7. Pour over chicken once chicken is browned.
8. Sprinkle cranberries around chicken pieces.
9. Reduce heat to a high simmer for 20 minutes. (Check chicken frequently to make sure the liquid isn’t evaporating too much. Add a little water at a time if it is. It should be a little saucy)
10. Place broccoli in a microwave-safe pot. Cover and microwave at high for 5 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir in spice and let stand.
11. Reheat broccoli an additional 2 minutes when rice and chicken are done.
12. Combine rice and water in a microwave-safe pot or casserole.
13. Cover and let stand in microwave until timer rings for chicken.
14. When timer rings, reduce heat for chicken to a low simmer.
15. Microwave rice at high for 10 minutes, then at medium for 10 minutes.
16. When timer rings for rice both the chicken and rice are ready. Remove rice from microwave and let stand while you set the table.