Maple Fried Oatmeal
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
1 cup sugar
5 egg yolks
5 lemons, zest and juice
½ pound cold butter, cubedVanilla Cream
1 whole vanilla bean
3 tablespoons good quality vanilla extract
1 cup apple juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup real maple syrup
1 litre whipping creamOatmeal Squares
2 tablespoons salt
¼ cup brown sugar
4 cups rolled oats
3 tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup dried cranberriesAssembly
1 cup real maple syrup
1 litre Vanilla Cream recipe
1 cup Lemon Curd recipe
1. Over a double boiler, combine sugar, whole eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest and juice and whisk until ‘ribbon’ stage.
2. Slowly add the cold butter, a few pieces at a time, whisking until mixture is smooth and cool.
3. Refrigerate until needed.Vanilla Cream
1. Split and scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add to apple juice, lemon juice and maple syrup.
2. Add vanilla pod and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
3. Add in whipping cream and return to a gentle simmer. Do not boil or cream will split.
4. Reduce by half. (Approximately 20 minutes)
5. Cool and refrigerate until needed.Oatmeal Squares
1. Bring 1 litre of water to a boil adding 2 tablespoons of salt.
2. Add brown sugar, oats, butter, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
3. Bring the mixture back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until oats are cooked through. (Approximately 7 - 10 minutes)
4. Add dried cranberries, and spread out on a 6 x 9-inch baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or lightly greased with butter.
5. Allow to cool and then slice into eight equal squares.Assembly
1. Gently fry the squares of oatmeal in a non-stick pan with some butter.
2. When lightly browned, flip the oatmeal squares and add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, ½ cup vanilla cream, and top with 1 tablespoon lemon curd.
3. Repeat assembly eight times.