Marinated Rib Eyes with Watermelon Salad
- prep time 205 min
- total time 215 min
- serves 4 servings
2 cups (500 mL) watermelon juice
4 cloves garlic
¾ cup (175 mL) soy sauce
¼ cup (60 mL) Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup (60 mL) lime juice
2 tablespoons (30 mL) Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons (30 mL) granulated sugar
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped green onions
¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pepper
4 rib eye steaks (each about 8 oz/227 g)Watermelon Salad
3 cups (750 mL) heirloom tomatoes, quartered
2 cups (500 mL) diced seedless watermelon
½ English cucumber, cut into julienne strips
½ cup (125 mL) goat milk feta
¼ cup (60 mL) thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons (30 mL) finely chopped basil leaves
2 radishes, thinly sliced
1 green onion, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely diced
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon (5 mL) Dijon mustard
¾ cup (175 mL) extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1. In a blender, add all the marinating ingredients and process until smooth.
2. Place steaks in a large glass baking dish, spoon over marinade, cover, and refrigerate for two hours to allow flavours to meld.
3. Remove steaks from marinade and let come to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Discard marinade.
4. Meanwhile preheat barbecue to medium-high.
5. Grill steaks to medium-rare, about 5 minutes per side, then transfer to a plate, tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes before cutting crosswise into ½-inch thick slices.Watermelon Salad
1. In a large bowl, gently toss together tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, feta, onion, basil, radishes and green onion.
2. In another bowl make vinaigrette by whisking together shallots, lime zest and juice and mustard. Slowly drizzle in oil to emulsify and season to taste with salt and pepper. Dress salad with vinaigrette.
3. To Plate: Fan steak slices on each of 4 plates, top with salad and serve immediately.