Meat Pie (Tortiere)
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
4 cup flour
½ packet of shortening
½ tsp salt
2 eggs, scrambled
1 can 50 mL can of clear citrus soda
½ L cool waterMeat Filling
6-6.5 pounds of ground meat
1 onion, minced
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pastry spice, store bought
1 cup breadcrumbs
1. Mix flour, shortening and salt in mixing bowl until mixture resembles the texture of tiny split peas.
2. Add the eggs, clear citrus soda and cool water. Mix with your hands until the mixture does not stick.
3. Put a bit of flour on flat surface and roll out.
4. Place rolled-out pastry in pie plate, gently press against bottom and sides of pan. Trim overhanging edge of pastry, approximately 1-inch from the pie plate's edge. Tuck the rim of dough underneath itself so that folded edge is flush with pan edge.
5. Flute the edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.Meat Filling
1. Cook ground meat, be careful not to burn or overcook.
2. Add onion, pepper, pepper, salt, pastry spice and breadcrumbs.
3. Remove pie shell from refrigerator and fill pie shell with meat filling.
4. Bake pie for 45 minutes. Check at 35 minute mark to make sure pie does not burn.
5. Yield: 4 pies