Meyer Lemon Sponge with Burnt Maple Meringue, Heart of Palm Sorbet and Almond Streusel
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
350 g heart of palm
4 Meyer lemons
305 g granulated sugar
40 g brown sugar
100 g maple syrup
30 g glucose
30 g almonds, finely chopped
30 g almond flour
50 g unsalted butter
1. For the lemon sponge: Finely grate the zest of 3 meyer lemons into a small pot with 100mL of water and 80g of sugar. Bring to a light simmer and reduce until a thick syrup remains. Squeeze the juice of the lemons into the syrup and strain to remove the zest and seeds. When the syrup has cooled, blend together with 4 eggs and 20 g AP flour. Strain the batter through a fine mesh chinoise and pour it into a whip cream canister, charging 3 times.
2. For the maple meringue: In a small pot with a candy thermometer, caramelize 35mL water, 75g sugar, and 100g maple syrup, until it reaches 121 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile, whip 100g egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Add the caramel very carefully to the egg whites while they are still whipping. The meringue can now be used or stored in the refrigerator once cooled.
3. For the sorbet: Dissolve 150g sugar and 30g glucose with 150mL hot water. Once it has cooled, combine with 300g heart of palm puree* and the juice of 1 lemon, and freeze in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturers instructions.
4. For the streusel: Combine 30g chopped almonds, 30g almond flour, 30g AP flour, 50g softened butter, and 40g brown sugar in a bowl until well incorporated. Spread onto a baking tray with parchment paper and bake at 325 Fahrenheit/160 Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until firm. Once cooled, crumble in a food processor.
5. For garnish: Thinly sliced heart of palm, meyer lemon and vanilla jelly, frothed almond milk.
6. To complete: Cut several small slits into the bottom of 4 paper cups. Fill them halfway up with the sponge batter and microwave each one on high power for 35 seconds. Remove the cup and invert it for 1 minute. Place a large dollop of meringue on each plate and spread it across with a spoon or spatula. Caramelize the meringue with a blow torch. Place several piles of almond streusel on the plate and top one with the sorbet.Tear the sponge into several pieces and place on the plate along with the garnishes and serve immediately.
7. *Note: to make heart of palm puree; boil finely chopped heart of palm in just enough water to cover it. When the water has nearly all reduced and the heart of palm is tender, puree in a blended until very smooth and strain through a fine mesh chinoise.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site