Michael Smith's Deep Fried Turkey
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 6
Ease of Preparation: Easy
Michael Smith Chef at Home
3 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp onion powder
3 Tbsp paprika
½ tsp ground bay leaves
½ tsp cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp gumbo file
1 Tbsp salt
12 lb(s) turkey, washed and dried thoroughly
14 L peanut oil
1. Using a commercial turkey fryer, and following manufacturer's instructions, heat oil to 375°F.
2. Make sure the fryer is positioned well away from any children, teenagers, pets or flammable structures.
3. Make sure the pot is only partly filled to allow for the level of the oil to increase when the turkey is added.
4. You should also leave room to allow for the bubbling of the oil when the turkey is first added.
5. Judge the level of oil necessary by placing the raw turkey in the empty pot and covering it with an inch or two of water. Remove the turkey, mark the level and discard the water.
6. Mix spices and salt together and rub liberally over the outside of the turkey.
7. Gradually immerse the whole turkey into the hot oil a little bit at a time, giving the oil a chance to calm down before immersing more of the bird.
8. It's a good idea to wear heavy gloves and a long sleeve shirt for protection from the inevitable spattering of the oil.
9. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions. DO NOT LEAVE THE TURKEY OR THE HOT OIL UNATTENDED.
10. Fry turkey for 3 minutes per pound.
11. Remove from oil and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.