4 cup vegetable stock
2 cup half and half cream
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
2 tsp paprika
1 cup uncooked millet
1 cup kale leaves, torn
1 cup fresh spinach, well-packed
1 lemon, zested and juiced
½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the stock and half and half into a medium pot and bring to a simmer on medium-high heat. Reduce to low heat to keep warm.
2. Heat the canola oil on medium-high heat in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Add the diced apple and paprika and let cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Place the millet, kale and spinach into the pan, stirring well to incorporate. Reduce to medium heat and let cook until millet has absorbed excess liquid and oil, about 1 minute.
5. Take 1 cup of the hot stock mixture and add it to the pan, stirring regularly. Once the liquid has been absorbed by the millet, add another cup of hot liquid.
6. Continue this process of adding and stirring until the millet has soaked up all of the liquid and the consistency is thick and creamy, about 18-20 minutes.
7. Stir in the lemon juice, zest and Parmesan and let cook for another 3 minutes.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve!