Mussels Benedict on Crusty Bread
- prep time5 min
- total time 17 min
- serves 4
This dish is so versatile and can be made for breakfast, brunch, lunch an appetizer or even a snack.
3 egg yolks, at room temperature
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white balsamic vinegar
1 pinch salt
½ cup (125 mL) butter, melted (clarified butter preferred)Mussels
2 lb(s) (900 g) mussels, scrubbed
4 thick slices of crusty bread (1 3/4 oz/90 g each), grilled
1 pinch cayenne
1. Separate 3 eggs.
2. Using an immersion blender, process egg yolks in a non-reactive container. Add white balsamic vinegar and salt. Blend until smooth.
3. Melt butter.
4. While the blender is running, slowly add melted butter, continue until mixture is thick and fluffy.Mussels
1. Scrub mussels clean.
2. In a pot, add enough water to just cover the mussels; salt it to taste like sea water.
3. Bring water to a boil over medium heat.
4. Add the mussels to the pot and cover with the lid.
5. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until most of the mussels are open.
6. Remove from heat and cool until mussels are easy to handle. Remove the mussel meat from the shells, discard shells.
7. Place mussels on grilled bread. Top with hollandaise and a sprinkle of cayenne.
Recipe courtesy of Chuck Hughes and Danny Smiles