- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
16 fresh cultured blue mussels
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup white wine
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
4 slices broad, thick slices of country bread
1 pinch hot red pepper, crushed
1. Rinse the fresh blue mussels in tap water.
2. In a wide, shallow pan over medium heat, warm half the oil. Add half the garlic and cook until the garlic turns gold, about 3 minutes. Add the fresh blue mussels, cover, and cook over high heat until the shells are open, about 5 minutes.
3. Add half the wine and cook uncovered until the alcohol has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the shells.
4. In a clean wide, shallow pan over medium heat, warm the remaining oil. Add the remaining garlic and the crushed red pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes, until the garlic turns gold.
5. Add the remaining wine, and continue cooking until it evaporates, about 3 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes and fresh blue mussel mixture, and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the parsley, stir, and remove from the heat.
7. Grill or toast the bread and top each slice with a portion of the fresh blue mussel mixture.