- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
2 pounds fresh blue cultured mussels
1 package frozen spinach, chopped (10 oz)
1 package frozen brocolli, chopped (10 oz)
½ cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup medium cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons butter, melted
8 6 ounce custard cups or pastry shells
1. Cook spinach or broccoli according to package directions; drain well, pressing out the excess liquid. Set aside.
2. Rinse fresh blue mussels in tap water. Add water to a large covered pot. Add the mussels and cover. Steam 5 to 7 minutes
3. Drain mussels, reserving liquid. Add milk to mussel liquid to equal ½ cup. If desired, set aside 8 mussels for garnish.
4. In bowl combine eggs, milk mixture, spinach (or broccoli), cheese, ¼ cup of bread crumbs, onion, and mussels. Spoon mixture into custard cups or pastry shells. Place in shallow baking dish.
5. Combine remaining bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and butter; sprinkle over mixture in cups. Bake at 350oF for 20 minutes. Garnish with the reserved mussels.