Nafplion Spinach Pie
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
750 grams canned spinach or 1 pack fresh spinach
½ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
2 onions or 5-6 green onions, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
250 grams Krinos Feta Cheese, crumbled
1 cup Krinos Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Athena Salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
454 grams Krinos Fillo pastry (1 package) room temperature
3 teaspoons sesame seedsTips
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight or on the counter top for at least 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo with a plastic wrap or with a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for over 5 minutes to avoid drying out.Nafplion Spinach Pie
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Defrost spinach and let drain completely or, if fresh, wash and drain (you can use a salad spinner).
3. In a bowl, combine finely chopped dill and onions, beaten eggs, crumbled feta, 1/2 cup of olive oil, salt and pepper.
4. Brush a medium non-stick baking dish with 2 tsp. of olive oil.
5. Set aside 6 sheets of fillo pastry. Cover with a damp towel.
6. With the remaining fillo, lay 2 sheets in baking dish and brush with olive oil.
7. Add 2 more sheets, brush again with olive oil and repeat until all sheets have been used.
8. Add the mixture and lay evenly.
9. Cover mixture with 2 of the reserved fillo sheets, brush with olive oil, add 2 more sheets and repeat until all 6 sheets have been used.
10. Fold sheets inwards and trim edges.
11. Brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
12. Score top with 4 linear openings.
13. Bake for 45 minutes on 350°F (175ºC) or until fillo sheets are golden brown.Tips
1. For a lighter, flakier pastry, brush each layer with melted butter. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first then work toward the center.
2. For best results, fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.