Nana Russell’s Plum Cake
- prep time15 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 8
This simple, summery cake highlights the beauty and flavour of plums.
Courtesy of Mardi Michels, eatlivetravelwrite.com, Toronto
2 oz (60 g) butter, at room temperature
4 oz (112 g) sugar
zest of 1 lemon
6 oz (170 g) self-rising cake and pastry flour
¼ cup (50 mL) milk
5 - 6 Plumbs, halved and pitted
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180ºC). Butter and flour 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan.
2. Cream together butter, sugar and lemon zest. Add eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition.
3. With wooden spoon, stir in half the flour. Gradually stir in half the milk, mixing until just combined. Stir in remaining flour, then remaining milk. Mix until well combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Place plum halves, cut side up, on top of cake batter. Sprinkle plums with sugar.
5. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden brown on top. Serve warm.