Nicoise Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Ahi Tuna
- prep time60 min
- total time 100 min
- serves 4
Sweet potato coins cooked low and slow in olive oil set the stage for this quintessentially French salad.
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch coins
2 clove garlic, very thinly sliced
2 sprig thyme
extra virgin olive oil to coverPan Seared Ahi Tuna
4 Ahi tuna loins (each about 3 oz/85 g), cut into logs 2-inches by 2-inches by 4-inches
2 Tbsp EACH (60 mL total) whole peppercorns and coriander seed
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sea salt
2 Tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oilLemon-Caper Vinaigrette
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp (15 mL) roughly chopped capers
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
½ cup (125 mL) reserved extra virgin olive oilLemon-Anchovy Aioli
½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
2 anchovies, mashed into a paste, or 1 teaspoon (5 mL) anchovy paste
1 Tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped chivesSalad
2 cup (500 mL) tender-crisp haricots vert
4 hardboiled eggs, shelled and quartered
4 cup (1 L) heart of Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 cup (250 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
¼ cup (60 mL) pitted and sliced Nicoise olives
¼ cup (60 mL) thinly sliced red onion
1. Place potatoes, garlic and thyme in a small ovenproof dish; add enough oil to cover potatoes, cover, place on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 325 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celsius) oven until potatoes are fork tender, about 40 minutes.
2. Carefully remove potatoes from oil with a slotted spoon to a dish. Discard thyme and garlic and reserve oil.Pan Seared Ahi Tuna
1. In a food processor or spice grinder, grind peppercorns and coriander seeds, place in a bowl with salt and stir to combine.
2. Rub pepper mixture over sides of tuna loins to encrust.
3. In a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, add oil.
4. Pan sear tuna loins 30 seconds per side; 2 minutes total searing time.Lemon-Caper Vinaigrette
1. Whisk together, lemon juice and zest, vinegar, mustard, capers, salt and pepper.
2. Slowly whisk in oil to emulsify.Lemon-Anchovy Aioli
1. Whisk together all ingredients and refrigeration until ready to use.Salad
1. To Plate: Smear a little aioli on each of 4 plates, fan 4 sweet potatoes coins on top, then layer on haricot beans, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, olives and onions and drizzle with vinaigrette. Cut tuna loins into ½-inch thick slices and fan over top of salad. Serve immediately.