No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Bars
- prep time 30 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 24
¾ cup (175 mL) unsalted butter
3 ounces (90 g) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons (30 mL) warm water
1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract
¾ cup (175 mL) sugar
1 ½ cups (375 mL) graham cracker crumbs
¾ cup (175 mL) flaked coconut
½ cup (125 mL) sliced almonds, roughly crushed
½ cup (125 mL) puffed rice cerealTopping
½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 ½ cups (875 mL) icing sugar
3 tablespoons (45 mL) milk
1 ½ teaspoons (7 mL) vanilla extract
1 tablespoon (15 mL) finely grated chocolate
1. Line bottom and sides of 9 X 9-inch (23 x 23-cm) baking pan with one piece of foil. Set aside.
2. In bowl set over pot of simmering water, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate. Stir in water and extract.
3. Remove bowl from heat. Mix in sugar, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, almonds and puffed rice cereal.
4. Scrape into lined pan. Use back of wooden spoon or hands to press out evenly in bottom of pan. Chill while continuing with rest of recipe.Topping
1. In large bowl, using electric handheld or stand mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in one cup icing sugar. Beat in milk, vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in remainder of icing sugar, or until the mixture is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
2. Spread icing sugar mixture evenly over chilled chocolate mixture in pan. Sprinkle with grated chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour. To slice, lift foil and slab out of pan. Peel off foil. Slice into 24 larger or 48 smaller bars. Keep chilled until serving. Store in single layer in sealed container in fridge up to 3 days.