5 sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
2 tsp olive oil
1 ½ cup chopped red onions
2 tsp minced garlic
1 ¼ lb(s) (568 g) extra-lean ground turkey
8 oz (227 g) lean Italian turkey sausage
1 cup packed grated unpeeled zucchini
1 jar (700 mL) your favourite tomato-based pasta sauce
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained, chopped
1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup minced fresh basil leaves
2 cup light ricotta cheese
2 oz (57 g) crumbled feta cheese with herbs (see Tip)
1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and chopped
12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 ½ cup packed shredded 4-cheese blend (6 oz/170 g; see Tip)
1. Pour 1/2 cup of boiling water over sun-dried tomatoes and let soak while you prepare the sauce.
2. To make sauce, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir until onions have softened, about 4 minutes.
3. Add ground turkey and sausage, breaking up any large pieces. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes. Add all remaining sauce ingredients, except fresh basil. When sun-dried tomatoes are soft enough, drain and chop them (fine) and add to sauce. Bring sauce to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in minced basil and remove from heat.
1. Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain well.
2. Preheat oven to 375ºF. To assemble, lightly spray a deep 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon some meat sauce over bottom of dish. Arrange 4 noodles over sauce and layer as follows: 1/3 meat sauce, 1/2 4-cheese blend, 4 noodles, 1/3 meat sauce, all of the ricotta/spinach mixture, 4 noodles, 1/3 meat sauce, 1/2 4-cheese blend. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
3. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes. Let lasagna stand for 10 minutes before serving.