Orange Almond Biscotti
- serves 48
1 ½ cup whole almond
1 egg yolk
2 ½ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 ½ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp orange zest
½ tsp cinnamon
dash of salt
1 egg, with 2 tbsp cold water for egg washTo Assemble
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Lightly toast almonds on a baking sheet for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
3. Whisk together eggs, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla until sugar dissolves.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, zest, cinnamon and salt (no need to sift). Add to egg mixture and stir in. Stir in almonds.
5. Divide dough in half and shape each into a log on a lightly floured surface. Logs should be 15 inches long. Place each cookie log on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet and press down with the heel of your hand to flatten slightly.
6. Brush tops of the biscotti dough with egg wash and bake for 25 minutes, rotating pan in the oven halfway through baking. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 325 F.
8. Biscotti is easiest to slice while warm. Using a chef’s knife, slice biscotti on an angle into 1/2- inch slices. Place face down on an ungreased baking sheet. Return cookies to oven for 20 minutes, or until they just start to colour a bit on the edges. They will feel soft when they come out of the oven, but will harden as they cool.To Assemble
1. Eat as you like. Biscotti store up to a month in an airtight container.