- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 8
375 mL (1 1/2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
5 mL (1 teaspoon) baking powder
250 mL (1 cup) softened unsalted butter
250 mL (1 cup) sugar
Grated zest of 3 oranges
60 mL (1/4 cup) orange juiceFor the Strawberry Coulis
500 mL (2 cups) fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
60 mL (1/4 cup) sugarFor the Garnish
1 L (4 cups) fresh strawberries, hulled
60 mL (1/4 cup) sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter a 10 x 20-cm (4 x 8-inch) loaf pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over the long sides.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, cream the butter with the sugar and the orange zest using an electric mixer. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients, alternating with the orange juice. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour.
4. Let cool partially. Unmould onto a cooling rack and let cool. If the cake is for a picnic, wrap in a clean tea towel or place in an aluminum cake tin.For the Strawberry Coulis
1. In a blender or food processor, purée the strawberries and sugar until smooth.
2. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. If sauce is needed for a picnic, transfer to a Mason jar.For the Garnish
1. In a bowl, gently toss the strawberries with the sugar and zest. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2. Serve slices of cake with the sauce and macerated strawberries.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site