Oven Pork Roast with Applesauce, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Asparagus
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 5
3 pounds lean boneless pork loin roast (42 oz)
Fresh ground pepper
Mrs. Dash Original
6 apples, cut in quarters
¼ cup sugar (75 mL)
1 tablespoon cinnamon (15 mL)
6 large 4 to 6 large thin skinned potatoes (if you really feel the need to peel them, go ahead., but remember to cut double because you will need to set aside 1/2 for the shepherd’s pie)
20 to 24 asparagus spears
Bisto brown gravy thickener (1 lb or 450 g)
1. Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
2. Place pork loin in pan, season with spice and insert meat thermometer.
3. Roast uncovered for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 F (160 C) basting meat occasionally with pan juices. Leave for 1 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 160 F (70 C). Remove meat, then tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
4. In the meantime… Take off the center core from apples. Throw all the cut apples into a freezer bag. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon the freeze.
5. Once the apples are completely frozen, remove from freezer and defrost. Peel off skin and mash. Add sugar or a little lemon juice to taste. Set aside in fridge.
6. Scrub potatoes and place in pot of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high.
7. Remove from heat when the potatoes are tender. Reserve some liquid for your gravy. Mash potatoes with a little milk and butter.
8. Place asparagus and a splash of water in a microwavable dish with lid. Cover and microwave at high for 6 minutes, then let stand.
9. Place roasting pan over med heat and add potato water.
10. Reduce until it begins to turn dark. Stir in a beef Bisto smoothed with water.
11. Only add a little at a time until it’s as thick as you like. Microwave asparagus 1 additional minute before serving.