Oysters on the Half-Shell with Tomato and Cucumber Relish and Lemon Oil
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
3 large lemon, washed
1 cup grape seed oilOysters and Marinade
24 small oyster
7/10 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/10 cup finely diced shallot
3/10 cup finely diced fennel
3/10 cup sherry vinegar
fine sea salt
freshly ground white pepperTomato and Cucumber Relish
½ cup cucumber, finely, diced, peeled, and, seeded
½ cup tomato, finely, diced, peeled, and, seeded
4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp mirin
¼ tsp lemon, zest, finely, mincedTo Serve
24 cilantro leaf, thinly sliced
1. Peel and remove the rind, and cut into julienne. In a heavy saucepan, bring the oil to a simmer. Add the julienne lemon rind and simmer for about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the oil to infuse for one hour.
2. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. The next day, strain through fine sieve or cheesecloth.Oysters and Marinade
1. Open the oysters in the half-shell. In a non-reactive dish, place the whole oysters in a single layer, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to prepare. Discard the top shells and rinse and save the bottoms.
2. Heat 1/3 cup of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and fennel; cook until softened, approximately two minutes. Stir in the remaining oil plus vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and pour over the raw oysters, spreading the shallots and fennel evenly over the top. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for four hours.Tomato and Cucumber Relish
1. In a small bowl combine the cucumber, tomato, vinegar, Mirin, sugar, lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to marinate for three hours. Just before serving, remove oysters from the marinade and place each oyster in one of the reserved shells.To Serve
1. Arrange 4 to 6 oysters on each serving plate. Place a little crushed ice or rock salt underneath to stop the shells from sliding. Spoon a little of each mixture into different oysters to make an assortment on each plate. Garnish tomato and cucumber relish oysters with cilantro leaves.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site