Pan Seared Salmon with Fork Mashed Olive Oil Potatoes, Crispy Leeks and a Red Wine Sauce
- serves 4
4 4 oz sockeye salmon, skin on, bones removed
3 Tbsp olive oil
fleur de sel for garnishPotatoes
2 lb(s) potatoes (Yukon Gold)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground white pepperLeeks
2 medium leeks, trimmed and washed
all purpose flour, for coating
salt and freshly ground white pepper
peanut oil for deep fryingRed Wine Sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Season salmon with salt and freshly ground white pepper.
3. Heat olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan on medium-high heat until oil ripples.
4. Gently place salmon in frying pan, skin side down, and sear for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned.
5. Carefully turn fish over and roast in the oven until fish easily flakes when tested with a fork and is no longer transparent in the centre.Potatoes
1. Peel the potatoes, cut into uniform sizes and cook in boiling salted water until tender.
2. Drain thoroughly and place into warmed pot.
3. Using a fork, gently break up the potatoes while slowly adding olive oil.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve hot.Leeks
1. Cut the leeks into thin strips.
2. Put some seasoned flour into a bag, add leeks and shake to coat.
3. Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan.
4. Add leeks and deep fry for 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
5. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place leeks on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Season leeks wit salt and pepper and serve on top of fish.Red Wine Sauce