Pancakes and Blueberry Sauce
- prep time 15 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 4
1 cup all purpose flour (250 ml)
1 teaspoon baking powder (5 ml)
3 eggs, separated
½ cup buttermilk (125 ml)
¼ cup maple syrup (60 ml)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (2.5 ml)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (45 ml)Blueberry Sauce
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries (375 ml)
¼ cup apple juice (60 ml)
½ cup sugar (125 ml)
1 teaspoon lemon juice (5 ml)
1. In a bowl, mix the flour and baking powder.
2. In another bowl, mix the egg yolks, buttermilk, maple syrup and vanilla for one minute with a beater. Add the dry ingredients and beat until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
3. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until the formation of soft peaks. Use a spatula to fold the egg whites into the batter.
4. Heat a non-adhesive skillet on medium heat. Brush with butter. Pour 1/3 cup (75 ml) of batter for each pancake. Spread the batter in the shape of a disk of about 6 inches (15 cm). Cook each side for 1 to 2 minutes or until they are nicely browned. Set aside in a warm oven. Serve two pancakes per person and accompany with sauce.
5. Note: You can mix all the ingredients without having the egg whites separately beaten. However, the pancakes will not be as light and you will yield 6 instead of 8 pancakes.Blueberry Sauce
1. In a pot, mix all the ingredients.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Let cool to a lukewarm temperature.