Panzerotti di Ricotta e Mozzarella
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8-10
2 1/4 oz cubes yeast (7 g) or 2 1/4 teaspoons
4 cups (950 ml) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
2 cups (450 ml) lukewarm water
¾ cup (170 ml) white wine
2 tablespoons (28 ml) extra virgin olive oilFilling
450 grams ricotta
1 large mozzarella ball, diced
1 cup pecorino, grated
extra virgin olive oil, to taste
1. Break the cubes of yeast up in lukewarm water and let them dissolve completely.
2. Pour the flour and salt on a smooth work surface and create a well in the middle of the flour.
3. For the dough, pour water and yeast mixture into the middle of the well, a little at a time. Start mixing by drawing some of the flour from the inner edge of the well into the water until all the flour has been drawn in. Once the yeast mixture is incorporated add the wine and then the olive oil into the mixture, working it with your hands until it’s incorporated and you can create a ball.
4. Knead the dough by rolling it back and forth, stretching it out with one hand and rolling it back with the other. Continue doing this for about five minutes or until the dough is smooth and has an almost spongy texture. Put a damp dishtowel over dough and leave out at room temperature for about an hour. The dough will double in size. Now you’re ready to roll it out and make the panzerotti.Filling
1. While the dough is rising, you can prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl combine all the cheeses and mix well. After an hour or so, roll your dough out flat or put through a pasta machine to create 2 long sheet about 3 inches wide. On a floured work surface lay out dough and place a small dollop of cheese filling 3 inches apart. Lay the second sheet of dough over the filling and pinch the dough in between the filling. Cut with a knife creating individual pockets. Fry in olive oil and let cool before serving.