Parmesan Popcorn Chicken and Cutlets
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup buttermilk (250ml)
1 ½ cups wholewheat breadcrumbs (375ml)
½ cup grated parmesan cheese (125ml)
½ teaspoon paprika (2ml)
½ teaspoon dry mustard (2ml)
pinch of salt
pinch of freshly ground pepperQuick Lemon Caper Sauce
½ cup chicken stock (125ml)
1 tablespoon capers (15ml)
1 clove clove garlic, minced (1)
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (5 ml)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (30ml)
2 tablespoons butter (30ml)Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
½ cup mayo (125ml)
1 tablespoon honey Dijon mustard (15ml)
1 teaspoon lemon juice (5ml)
1. For the Adults: gently pound 2 chicken breasts betwween 2 sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper, using the flat side of a mallet or a rolling pin, until they are about 1/4-inch/0.5 cm thick. For the Children: cut the remaining chicken breasts into 1 1/2-inch/3.5 cm pieces about 1/4-inch/0.5 cm thick.
2. Place all of the chicken in a bowl and cover with the buttermilk. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, if possible. Otherwise, dip chicken into buttermilk before coating.
3. Preheat oven to 400 F/200 C. Prepare coating by combining ingredients in a shallow dish. Remove chicken pieces from the marinade, toss with the coating and transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat with the cutlets. Allow chicken coating to set for 10 minutes.
4. Heat 1 tbsp/15 ml of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook cutlets for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden. Return cutlets to the baking sheet and bake all of the chicken for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. Turn the children's chicken pieces halfway during the cooking time. Tip: Marinating ahead helps keep this chicken moist. However, if in a rush, the recipe will work with quick dipping in buttermilk followed by coating.Quick Lemon Caper Sauce
1. Pour chicken stock into a nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Stir in capers and garlic, and simmer for 1 minute. Add lemon zest, juice and butter and stir until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Drizzle sauce over adults' chicken cutlets.Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
1. Mix ingredients together and serve in a small bowl surrounded with the children's popcorn chicken pieces.