PB&J French Toast
- prep time 0 min
- total time 4 min
- serves 4
8 slices of thick whole grain bread
1 cup (250 ml) of milk
2 tablespoons (30 ml) or so of brown sugar
1 teaspoon (5 ml) or so of cinnamon
1 tablespoon (15 ml) or so, of vanilla
2 cups (500 ml) of oatmeal
A half cup or so of peanut butter
A half cup or so of your favorite jelly
A splash of oil and a bit of butter for grilling
Maple syrup for drizzling
1. Preheat a griddle or heavy sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Whisk the milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla together in one bowl. Place the oatmeal in a second bowl. Sandwich the peanut butter and jelly together. Dip the sandwiches in the wet mixture first, drip dry then in the oatmeal to coat.
3. Splash a bit of oil on your grill and drop some butter in the center. The oil will keep the butter from burning.
4. Slowly and patiently grill the sandwiches on one side until they’re golden brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Flip. Brown the second side, serve and share while it’s still hot. Drizzle a little maple syrup on top to make it ooey, gooey fantastic!
5. Freestyle Twist: Feel free to mix up the spices or sugars in the milk/egg mixture. Try a little nutmeg, cardamom, cloves or mace and see what your family warms up to. Or substitute honey or maple syrup for the brown sugar.