Peach Upside Down Cake
- serves 10
¼ cup butter, melted (50 ml)
½ cup brown sugar (80 ml)
8 peach halves, preserved in syrup and sliced thinlyBatter
1 ⅔ cup flour, sifted (400 ml)
1 tsp baking soda (5 ml)
1 ½ tsp baking powder (7 ml)
¼ tsp salt (1 ml)
½ tsp ground cloves (2 ml)
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg (1 ml)
½ tsp ground cinnamon (2 ml)
½ cup butter, at room temperature (125 ml)
¾ cup sugar (180 ml)
2 Tbsp honey (30 ml)
1 ¼ cup buttermilk, at room temperature (310 ml)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut out an 8 inch circle from a piece of parchment paper and place in the bottom of an 8-inch spring form pan. Add melted butter and wirl butter around to cover inside of pan. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar over it and arrange peach slices in a concentric circle and then sprinkle with the other half of the brown sugar. Set aside.Batter
1. Sift together the dry ingredients.
2. In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until smooth.
3. Whisk the honey and buttermilk together in a small bowl.
4. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients to the creamed butter mixture beating well between additions.
5. Pour batter over peach slices in cake pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Cake is done when a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Leave cake in pan and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and invert onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped cream.