1 ½ cup 2% milk
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ tsp vanilla extract
⅛ tsp salt
4 thick challah slices (3 inches each), or preferred bread
½ cup strawberry jam
6 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp canola oil
4 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
½ cup candied peanuts, chopped
1 cup bananas, sliced
3 Tbsp sugar
1. Combine milk, eggs, vanilla and salt in a medium shallow dish, stirring well with a whisk. Place the challah slices on a flat surface and hollow out the center, spread 2 tablespoons preserves in the center and spread 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter over the preserves, cover up the center peanut butter and jelly with the bread that you removed. Carefully dip the sandwiches in the milk mixture, turning to coat.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil and 2 tablespoons of butter to a pan; swirl to coat. Place coated sandwiches in pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until toasted. Remove sandwiches from pan.
3. In another pan on medium heat add the butter and melt.
4. Add the banana and sprinkle with sugar, cook the banana until the sugar begins to caramelize. Be careful not to burn the banana’s as the sugar will heat quickly. Remove from heat.
5. Sprinkle powdered sugar and candied peanuts evenly over sandwiches; cut each sandwich in half diagonally and top with banana.