Peanut Satay Chicken or Shrimp Kebabs with Whole Wheat Couscous and Spinach Salad
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
4 to 6 bamboo skewers (can be found in gadget section of grocery store)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in cubes (1 1/2 lbs or 675 g)
4 to 6 jumbo shrimp
2 large plastic re-sealable bags
1 cup bottled peanut satay sauce (or Szechwan sauce)
12 ounces pre-washed baby spinach (350 g) (1 1/3 cup)
6 strawberries, sliced
½ cup croutons (optional)(125 mL)
1 ½ cups whole-wheat couscous (375 mL)
Suggestion: 1 tbsp salsa, 1 tsp cilantro and chicken broth for part of the liquid.
Have the peanut satay sauce on the table for extra dipping. Use a low-fat variety to reduce your fat intake.
½ cup low-fat raspberry vinaigrette (125 mL)
1. Soak skewers in warm water while you’re preparing the meal. It makes it a lot easier to skewer the meat.
2. Toss chicken cubes in a re-sealable plastic bag. Pour peanut satay sauce all over. Close bag and squish together. Let stand in fridge.
3. Do the same, in a separate bag, with the shrimp.
4. Arrange spinach on plates with strawberry slices on top. Add croutons if you like.
5. Make couscous in a stovetop pot according to package directions.
6. Set oven to broil.
7. Spray a broiler pan with cooking spray.
8. Skewer chicken onto skewers, leaving a small space between each piece of chicken. Do the same with the shrimp.
9. Simply place the cubes onto the broiler pan if you don’t have timer to skewer them.
10. Turn chicken cubes and shrimp as they brown watching them carefully. Chicken is ready when the inside of the largest piece is white.
11. Drizzle dressing on salad.
12. Arrange skewers of chicken beside salad and couscous.