Pear Cranberry Strudel
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 1
1 ¼ cup warm water
3/10 cup unsalted butter, melted
½ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
4 cup bread flour, (no substitutions)
½ tsp salt
dash vanilla extractFilling
4 pear, peeled and diced
1 cup cranberries
7/10 cup sugar
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ ground cloves
juice and zest of one orangeTo Assemble
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 egg, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water, for brushing
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
1. Place all dough ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix for 2 minutes on low speed and then increase speed to medium.
2. Knead dough for 10 minutes, pulling dough off paddle once or twice, until dough takes on a stringy appearance. Wrap and let rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour before using.Filling
1. Toss pears and cranberries with sugar, flour, spices and orange juice & zest.To Assemble
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Place an old (but clean) tablecloth on a work surface, about 3 feet by 3 feet. Dust cloth lightly with flour and place dough in the middle of the work surface. With flour-dusted hands, gently start pulling the dough, working from the center, and stretch it to a square the size of the work surface. It’s easiest to stretch dough from its underside, gently pulling outward using the tops of your hands.
3. Allow edges to drape over the surface if needed, as this will help to anchor the dough. Do not worry if dough gets a little hole – it will be covered once strudel is rolled. Once the dough is thin enough that you could read a newspaper through it, brush entire surface with melted butter and sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs.
4. At one end, spoon pear-cranberry filling in a line along the length of the dough. Trim off the thick end pieces of the dough along the sides parallel to the filling. Using the cloth, lift the end of the strudel with the filling and let the strudel roll itself up into a log. Pinch together the ends of the strudel and trim excess dough. Use the cloth to gently lift it to a parchment-lined baking sheet. If the strudel is longer than the baking sheet, gently bend it to fit the pan.
5. Brush generously with egg wash and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, until deep golden brown. Serve warm. Strudel can also be reheated in the oven.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site