Pear Mincemeat Tarts
- prep time 0 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 30
1 large clementine, (unpeeled), cut in chunks
1 large mandarin, (unpeeled), cut in chunks
½ lemon, (unpeeled), cut in chunks
10 cups grated peeled pear, (about 5-1/2 lbs)
2 cups golden raisins
2 cups seeded raisins
2 cups sugar
¾ cup chopped mixed candied peel
¾ cup white wine
½ cup halved candied cherries
¼ cup butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
¾ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon cloves
3 tablespoons dark rum
pastry, for 60 tart shells
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC)
2. In food grinder and using coarse blade, or in food processor and using on/off motion, coarsely chop clementine and lemon.
3. In large, heavy saucepan, combine clementine mixture, pears, golden and seeded raisins, sugar, peel, wine, cherries, butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves.
4. Bring to simmer over medium heat.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 45 minutes or until thickened and caramel brown.
6. Stir in rum.
7. Line 60 tart shells with pastry cut to fit with crinkle-edged cutter.
8. Fill shells three-quarters full with mincemeat mixture.
9. If desired, using a smaller crinkle-edged cutter, cut out circles of pastry to fit over mincemeat but not touch edges.
10. Brush top crust with cream or milk.
11. Bake in oven for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350ºF (180ºC) and bake tarts for 10 minutes longer.
12. Yield: 60 tarts