Pear Mincemeat Tarts
- prep time1 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 30
Have no fear- there's no actual meat in this browned fruity tart!
1 large mandarin, (unpeeled), cut in chunks
1 large clementine, (unpeeled), cut in chunks
½ lemon, (unpeeled), cut in chunks
10 cup grated peeled pear, (about 5-1/2 lbs)
2 cup golden raisins
2 cup seeded raisins
2 cup sugar
¾ cup chopped mixed candied peel
¾ cup white wine
½ cup halved candied cherries
¼ cup butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
¾ tsp allspice
½ tsp cloves
3 Tbsp dark rum
pastry, for 60 tart shells
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC)
2. In food grinder and using coarse blade, or in food processor and using on/off motion, coarsely chop clementine and lemon.
3. In large, heavy saucepan, combine clementine mixture, pears, golden and seeded raisins, sugar, peel, wine, cherries, butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves.
4. Bring to simmer over medium heat.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 45 minutes or until thickened and caramel brown.
6. Stir in rum.
7. Line 60 tart shells with pastry cut to fit with crinkle-edged cutter.
8. Fill shells three-quarters full with mincemeat mixture.
9. If desired, using a smaller crinkle-edged cutter, cut out circles of pastry to fit over mincemeat but not touch edges.
10. Brush top crust with cream or milk.
11. Bake in oven for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350ºF (180ºC) and bake tarts for 10 minutes longer.
12. Yield: 60 tarts