Penne with Gorgonzola, Spinach, and Walnuts
- prep time 5 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 2
¼ cup walnut halves
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ medium onion, diced
5 ounces baby spinach
¼ cup Gorgonzola cheese
salt and pepper
¾ cup uncooked penne
1. In a dry skillet toast walnuts until fragrant over medium-low heat, about 5 minutes. Remove the walnuts from skillet and set aside.
2. Add olive oil to skillet and add onions. Sweat the onions until translucent, stirring regularly.
3. Add spinach and a pinch of salt and turn heat to medium. Turn the spinach frequently until just wilted. Remove pan from heat.
4. Cook penne according to package directions, before draining set aside 1 cup of the pasta water.
5. Crumble Gorgonzola onto spinach and add walnuts and a 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Toss until Gorgonzola is just starting to melt and is well distributed.
6. Add pasta and toss together with sauce, adding a bit more pasta water if necessary.
7. Taste and add more salt and a healthy grinding of fresh pepper to taste.
8. Serve immediately.