Pepper Crusted Tuna Steak with Teriyaki Sauce and Wasabi Smashed Potatoes
- prep time 1 min
- total time 22 min
- serves 2
Tuna steak is so thick and delicious even the biggest meat lovers will adore it!
Nadia G. Bitchin' Kitchen
3 russet potatoes, cubed
splash of soy milk
1 tsp wasabi
pinch sea salt and freshly cracked black pepperTeriyaki Sauce
¼ cup mirin wine
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 Tbsp low sodium tamari soy sauce
1 Tbsp honey
3 clove garlic, crushed
3 knob ginger, peeledPepper Crusted Tuna Steak
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 1 inch-thick yellowfin sushi-grade tuna steaks
¼ cup freshly cracked black pepperThe Plate
1. Boil potatoes in salt water until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes. Strain and place in a big bowl.
2. Add soy milk, wasabi, salt and pepper and mash together.Teriyaki Sauce
1. Heat a saucepan on medium, add mirin, sesame oil, tamari, honey, garlic and ginger, bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low, let simmer for 5 minutes. Strain sauce to remove garlic and ginger.Pepper Crusted Tuna Steak
1. In a frying pan, heat canola oil on high heat.
2. Coat tuna steaks evenly on all sides with freshly-cracked black pepper.
3. Place steaks in frying pan and baste with teriyaki sauce. For medium rare steak: cook for 1 minute, flip and cook for another minute.The Plate
1. Slice tuna against the grain to sever muscle, making tuna even more tender . Serve with a generous scoop of wasabi smashed potatoes. Drizzle teriyaki sauce over both.