Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- prep time 90 min
- total time 110 min
- serves 40
2 cups flour, plus more for rolling
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
¼ cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canesIcing and Decoration
1 ½ cups icing sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk or water
½ cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. In a bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer or with an electric mixer, beat butter for approximately 2 minutes. Add granulated sugar and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add egg and peppermint extract and beat to combine thoroughly.
3. With mixer on low, add dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Add crushed peppermint candy and mix through.
4. Divide dough in half and roll out on clean, floured counter or pastry board to about 1/8" thick, dusting with more flour as necessary. Cut out shapes and using a spatula, transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet (use parchment or a silpat). Re-roll scraps and cut more shapes. Repeat with other half.
5. Refrigerate cut out cookies for about 15 minutes while oven preheats. Bake for about 12 – 18 minutes, depending on size of cookies (rotating sheets half-way through). Transfer to cooling rack and then decorate.Icing and Decoration
1. With icing sugar in a small bowl, whisk in liquid 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
2. Brush icing on cookies where you want candy to adhere and sprinkle candy on top. Brush off excess.