Perfect Beef Jerky
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
1 whole tri-tip roast
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp fresh garlic
1 Tbsp fresh ginger
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp sour mash whiskey
splash maple syrup
2 tsp chili flakes
pinch dry mustard
1 tsp feshly ground black pepper
2 cup dry mesquite wood chips
4 cup mesquite wood chips soaked in cool water for 1 hour and drained
1. Using a sharp knife and cutting with the grain of the meat, slice the beef into 1/8 inch slices. If you find it difficult to slice thinly, place the meat into the freezer for 5 minutes and then try again.
2. In a medium bowl combine the marinade ingredients. Place the steak into a sealable plastic bag and pour the marinade ingredients over top. Remove air from the bag, seal it and place the meat into the refrigerator to marinade over night. Remove the meat from marinade and discard the bag and used sauce.
3. Place the beef onto a clean baking tray. Prepare barbeque for indirect smoking. Remove the grate from the far burner and turn the heat on medium high. Leave the other burners off. Prepare the smoke pouches. Place 2 cups (500ml) of the drained wet chips and 1 cup of the dry on a large sheet of foil. Mix to combine. Wrap the package up to the size that is slightly smaller than your bbq burner. Using the tines of a fork poke all over – this allows airflow and smoke to escape. Repeat this to make a total of 2 smoke pouches.
4. Place one smoke pouch directly over the heat on the far side of the grill. Close the lid and wait for smoke. Adjust the heat to 180°F Oil the grill to help prevent sticking. Place beef strips on the non-heat side of the grill. They should not be touching. Close lid and slow cook for 3-4 hours. Replace the smoke pouch after smoke dissipates.
5. Remove from grill. Cool and enjoy.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site