1 cup (250 mL) red wine
½ cup (125 mL) pomegranate juice
1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
2 Tbsp (30 mL) cold butter, in small cubes
2 1-lb (500 g) rib or strip steaks, 1 1/2-inch thick
1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
freshly ground pepper
1. Bring wine and juice to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil for 12 to 15 min, or until slightly thickened and reduced to ½ cup.
2. Add stock and bring back to a boil. Reduce until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 12 to 15 min.
3. Remove saucepan from heat. Vigorously whisk in cold butter, adding gradually until all the butter has been incorporated and sauce is smooth. Reserve.
4. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Pat steaks dry and season with salt and pepper. Add oil to pan, then steaks and sear until crisp and dark brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
5. Transfer skillet to oven and cook until an instant thermometer inserted into the centre of the steak reads 115ºF for rare or 120ºF for medium rare, 5 to 8 min. Remove skillet from oven and transfer steaks to a board. Let rest for 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Slice steaks and divide between four plates. Drizzle with red wine sauce and serve with mashed potatoes.