- prep time30 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 6 - 8
A citrus-flavoured Italian classic dessert featuring glossy whipped cream mixture, served chilled with sprinkled amaretti cookies.
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 egg whites
½ cup Simple Syrup, recipe follows
1 (20-oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup crushed amaretti cookies, for sprinklingSimple Syrup
¼ cup water
½ cup sugar
1. Spray a 9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 3-inch (6-cup) metal loaf pan lightly with nonstick spray. Line the pan with plastic wrap with enough plastic wrap extending over the sides to cover the top after the pan has been filled.
2. In a medium bowl, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
3. In another medium bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. With the mixer on, slowly add the simple syrup. Continue beating on high speed until the mixture is glossy and doubles in volume, about 7 to 10 minutes.
4. Using a large rubber spatula, fold the pineapple into the egg whites. Fold the whipped cream into the egg white mixture. Gently, spoon the mixture into the loaf pan. Fold over the plastic wrap to cover and freeze for 8 hours (or up to 1 month).
5. To serve: Unfold the plastic wrap. Invert the semifreddo onto a cutting board. Remove the plastic wrap. Cut the semifreddo into 1-inch thick slices. Place on individual serving plates and top each slice with the crushed amaretti cookies.Simple Syrup
1. In a saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Take pan off heat and cool the syrup. Any extra cooled syrup can be saved in an airtight container.
2. Yield: 1/2 cup