Pistachio Sponge Cake
- serves 1
Put a twist on the usual sponge cake and add some flavourful pistachios!
½ cup shelled pistachios, (approximately)
½ cup pastry flour
6 Tbsp sugar
½ Tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup vegetable oil
4 egg, separated
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp water
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp cream of tartar
icing sugar, for garnishTo Assemble
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grind pistachios finely and measure 1/3 cup.
3. Sift together pastry flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in ground pistachios. Add oil, egg yolks, lemon juice, water and vanilla and beat mixture in a mixer or with electric beaters until thick, about 4 minutes.
4. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar to stiff peaks. Fold one-third of whites into batter, then remaining two-thirds. Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch springform pan (or an ungreased bundt pan) and bake for 45-55 minutes, until springy when touched.To Assemble
1. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
2. Dust with icing sugar before slicing.