Pork Belly & Scallop Starter with Coffee Glaze
- prep time 15 min
- total time 230 min
- serves 4
¼ cup vegetable oil (60 ml)
2 lb. fresh pork belly
1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
1 stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 fennel bulb, quartered
2 sprig thyme
1 tsp black peppercorns (5 ml)
4 cup veal stock (1 l)
1 cup hard cider (250 ml) or apple juiceScallops
4 large scallops
Salt and pepperGlaze
Braising liquid (about 2 cups)
1 tsp black coffee (5 ml)
1 Tbsp honey (15 ml)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. Season the pork belly with salt and pepper. On medium high heat, in half the oil, sear the meat in an ovenproof casserole dish on all sides (about 5 minutes). Add the vegetables, thyme and peppercorns and continue cooking for another 5 minutes until caramelized.
3. Add the veal stock and hard cider. Cover the casserole dish with a lid, or securely with tin foil, and braise the pork belly in the oven for 3 hours until tender.
4. Remove the pork belly from the oven and set aside on a plate covered in aluminum foil. Strain the leftover liquid with a large sieve over a stockpot, discard the vegetables and skim the excess fat from the braising liquid.
5. Heat a pan on high heat and add the remaining oil. Cut the pork belly into four equal pieces and sear on all sides until crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm. Before this step, reduce the glaze.Scallops
1. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. In the same hot pan as the pork belly, sear the scallops on both sides for about 1 minute.Glaze
1. Start by reducing the braising liquid by half for about 15 minutes on medium-high heat. Add the coffee and honey and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until it thickens. You will know the sauce is done when it coats the back of a spoon. Set aside.
2. Drizzle the coffee glaze over the pork belly. Top with a scallop. Season with sea salt and serve.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site