Pork Schnitzel with Tartar Sauce
- prep time25 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 4
Breaded pork schnitzel served with homemade tartar sauce makes for a comfort food classic.Courtesy of Ontario Pork.
1 lb(s) (500 g) lean pork from the loin or leg (or 4 ready-made pork schniztels)
¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp (25 mL) milk
⅔ cup (150 mL) dry breadcrumbs, or 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola or other vegetable oil
1 lemon, cut into wedgesTartar Sauce
1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise
2 Tbsp (25 mL) shallots, minced
2 Tbsp (25 mL) gherkins or dill pickles, minced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) capers, chopped
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
½ tsp (2 mL) salt and ground black pepper
1. Cut pork into four equal portions. Place one piece of pork on a sheet of dampened plastic film. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, or other suitable instrument, gently pound pork to a width of 5-6-inches (12.5 to 15 cm).
2. Lay out three large plates. Combine the flour, salt and pepper on one plate, combine the egg with the milk on the second, and spread the breadcrumbs on the third.
3. Coat each piece of pork with first flour, then egg mixture, and finally with breadcrumbs.
4. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet until butter begins to foam. Working in batches, brown schnitzels on both sides; this will take only a minute or so.
5. Set schnitzels on paper towels as they are cooked; add more butter and oil to skillet if necessary.
6. Serve with Tartar Sauce and lemon wedges.Tartar Sauce
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for up to three days.
2. Tip: Save time by buying thin "fast-fry" chops; these are thin enough that they can be breaded without having to pound them out.
3. Tip: Try Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), which gives a deliciously crunchy, light crust.
4. In a hurry? Use a high quality store-bought tartar sauce. Still in a hurry? Look for ready made breaded schnitzels.