Portobello Burger Stack
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
12 large Portobello mushroom caps, stemmed and cleaned
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh basil
2 large slices of feta cheese
1 cup grated provolone
2 slices of Cambozola cheese
6 whole-wheat buns
½ cup olive tapenade
Jarred roasted peppers drained
Sprouts arugula or your favourite greens
Red onion slices
1. Trim the stem and clean mushrooms*. Note it’s not necessary to remove the gills, as this is a dark marinade.
2. Place the mushrooms gills up on a clean baking tray.
3. Mix oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar and basil together in a bowl.
4. Pour this mixture over the caps and leave for 15-20 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse in the meat of the mushrooms.
5. Preheat grill to 350°F-400°F (175°-200°C), medium high heat.
6. Oil the grill well to prevent sticking.
7. Place the mushroom caps gill side up on the bbq. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until nice char marks are achieved. Flip and cook 2 more minutes.
8. Place the buns on the warming rack to heat through.
9. Top two caps with the feta, top the next two caps with the Cambozola cheese and finish with remaining grated provolone. Close the lid and cook until cheese has melted.
10. Remove the mushrooms and buns from grill.
11. Spread olive tapenade on the toasted buns, top with two cheesy mushroom caps, roasted peppers, sprouts, and red onion.
12. Serve and enjoy!