Potato and Cheese Perogies
- serves 4
2 cup all-purpose flour (500 ml)
½ tsp salt (2 ml)
2 large egg yolks
2 tsp vegetable oil (10 ml)
1/2 to 3/4 cup hot tap water (125 ml to 175 ml)Potato Cheese Filling
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut in chunks
2 tsp sour cream, plain yogurt or milk (10 ml)
1 cup grated cheese (250 ml)
salt and pepper, to tasteAssembly
1 lb(s) sliced bacon, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces (454 g)
1. Place flour on counter or wooden board. Sprinkle salt on top of flour. Make a well in centre. Place egg yolks and oil in well. Using the tips of your fingers, stir in circular motion, working from middle of flour mixture out and adding water with other hand, a little at a time, as you go. You have added enough water when dough begins to hold together and so just slightly sticky. Form into ball, scraping up and adding any bits that stick to counter
2. Knead dough, adding a little more water if necessary, 20 to 25 times or until soft and elastic. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour or overnight.Potato Cheese Filling
1. Add potatoes to medium pot of boiling salted water. Cook until soft. Add sour cream, yogurt or milk. Mash with potatoes masher or ricer. Stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.Assembly
1. To fill perogies, divide dough into 3 to 4 pieces. Using hands, shape into logs about 1- inch in diameter. Slice each log into pieces 1-inch wide. Dust each piece lightly in flour. Using hands, shape each piece into a round disc, then pull gently as you would pizza dough to make the disk thinner. When dough is thin, place a rounded tsp. of filling in centre. Using your fingers, gently pull dough over filling to form half-moon shape. Pinch edges together carefully but tightly, crimpling as you go, to seal. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. Fry bacon in non-stick pan over medium high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
3. To cook the perogies, bring large saucepan of salted water to boil. Reduce heat so water simmers and does not boil rapidly. Add perogies, one at a time, taking care not to over crowd the pan. Cook uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and gently with wooden spoon to loosen from sides of saucepan. Drain.
4. Garnish with bacon and serve with sour cream on the side or top.