Potato and Wild Mushroom Soup
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 6
½ oz dried porcini mushrooms (makes 1/4 cup re-hydrated) (15 g)
1 cup hot water (250 ml)
2 Tbsp butter (30 ml)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (30 ml)
1 cup thinly sliced leeks, use white part only (250 ml)
1 cup meduim diced oyster mushrooms (250 ml)
2 Tbsp finely chopped shallots (30 ml)
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup medium diced chanterelle mushrooms (60 ml)
½ cup reserved porcini liquid (125 ml)
3 medium baking potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 cup chicken stock (1l)
1 cup whipping cream (250 ml)
coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to tasteMushroom Garnish
2 Tbsp olive oil (30 ml)
¼ cup re-hydrated finely chopped porcini mushrooms (60 ml)
½ cup quartered fresh chanterelle mushrooms (125 ml)
1 cup stemmed and thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms (250 ml)Assembly
1 Tbsp finely chopped chives (15 ml)
1. Soak dried porcini mushrooms in 1 cup of hot boiling water for 20 minutes, until re-hydrated and soft. Strain the soaking liquid through a cheesecloth-lined sieve (or use a coffee filter) over a bowl. Remove the mushrooms and reserve for the garnish. The mushrooms will re-hydrate and yield about ¼ cup. Reserve ½ cup of the porcini liquid to make the soup. Any remaining liquid can be used to enhance a stock, sauce or to flavour rice.
2. Heat the butter and vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, oyster mushrooms, shallot and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chanterelle mushrooms and cook an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, reserved porcini liquid and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Remove from heat and puree in a blender. Strain the soup through a medium-meshed sieve. Chill completely. Add the cream and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.Mushroom Garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over high heat. Add the porcini mushrooms, chanterelle mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms and salt. Sauté mushrooms for 3 minutes, or just until the mushrooms are cooked through. Remove from heat and chill.Assembly
1. Remove ½ cup of the soup and reserve for foam garnish. Divide soup equally into 6 bowls. Foam the ½ cup soup with a hand blender – looking for foam similar to that for a cappuccino. Spoon an equal amount of the mushroom garnish and mushroom foam into the centres of each of the bowls. Garnish with chives. Serve chilled.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site