Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps with Mediterranean Pickles
- serves 20
The winning recipe from Episode 8 of Top Chef Canada by chef Jonathan Korecki.
Equipment needed: Pressure Cooker
¼ cup olive oil
1 4-5 pound pork shoulder, deboned and cut into 5 pieces
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 stalks celery, roughly chopped
4 clove garlic, smashed
½ zest of 1/2 a lemon
½ zest of 1/2 orange
½ sticks cinnamon stick
3 sprig thyme
2 can 2, 796mL cans of whole tomatoes
salt and pepperCrispy Chorizo
1 tsp olive oil
2 chorizo sausages, diced
1 sprig thymeMaster Brine
1 L white vinegar
1 ½ L water
375 g sugar
250 g saltPickled Fennel
1 recipe Master Brine recipe
1 bulb fennel, core removed and julienned
½ zest and juice of 1/2 orange
1 ½ tsp mustard seeds, toasted
1 ½ tsp fennel seedsPickled Carrot
2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
1 pinch saffron threads
1 sprig lemon thyme
½ zest of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp honey
1 recipe Master Brine recipePickled Shallots
2 shallots, julienned
1 tsp salt
2 tsp honey
½ one lemon, juiced
½ finger chili, seeds removed and mincedGreen Olives
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup green olives, pitted and quartered
½ zest of 1/2 lemon
1 sprig thyme, leaves pickedAssembly
2 heads Boston lettuce, washed, dried and leaves picked
1 recipe Pulled Pork, warmed
1 recipe Crispy Chorizo
1 recipe Pickled Fennel, cold
1 recipe Pickled Carrots, cold
1 recipe Pickled Shallots
1 recipe Green Olives
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper, sear on all sides. Approximately 15 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Place carrot, celery, garlic, cinnamon, thyme, lemon and orange zest in the same pan the pork was cooked in. Sauté over medium high-heat until golden. Approximately 10 minutes.
3. Deglaze with tomatoes and stir.
4. Place pork and tomato mixture in a pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure until pork is tender, approximately 80 minutes.
5. Release pressure and remove pork. Place in a high-sided pan and shred meat.
6. Strain cooking liquid. Cover pork with just enough cooking liquid to keep moist. Set aside to cool.
7. Place remaining cooking liquid and vegetable mixture in a food processor. Puree until smooth, set aside.
8. Place remaining cooking liquid and vegetable mixture in a food processor. Puree until smooth, set aside.Crispy Chorizo
1. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and thyme, sauté until crispy. Approximately 5 minutes.
2. Set aside until assembly.Master Brine
1. Place ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil remove from heat and reserve.Pickled Fennel
1. Bring Master Brine to a boil.
2. In another pot, place fennel, orange zest, toasted mustard and fennel seeds.
3. Pour enough boiling Master Brine to cover, weigh down with a heavy object to submerge fennel. Set aside to cool, approximately 1 hour.
4. Place orange juice in containers. Transfer fennel with Master Brine into containers with orange juice. Cover and refrigerate until assembly.Pickled Carrot
1. Place all ingredients, except for the Master Brine in a container.
2. Pour enough boiling Master Brine just to cover ingredients. Set aside to cool.
3. Once cooled, place in fridge until assembly.Pickled Shallots
1. Place shallots and salt in a bowl, toss and set aside for 12 hours.
2. Rinse and dry shallots. Place shallots in a bowl, mix with honey, lemon juice and chili. Set aside until assembly.Green Olives
1. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add olives and sauté until golden, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Add lemon zest and thyme leaves.
4. Remove from heat and set aside in oil until assembly.Assembly