Pulled Pork Sandwich
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 12 or more servings
1 4 pound boneless pork shoulder
1 big splash vegetable oil
1 5 ½ ounce can tomato paste
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup yellow mustard
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons cumin powder
½ cup chili powder
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon saltFor the Pulled Pork Sandwiches
soft sandwich buns for everyone
1. Place a heavy Dutch oven or large stew pot over medium-high heat and splash in enough oil to swirl and coat the bottom with a thin film. Carefully add the pork roast to the hot oil and commence Operation Browning. Continue, turning the works as needed until the meat is evenly browned on all sides. Be patient! This is the only opportunity you’ll have to add the rich flavours of browned meat to the dish before the coming liquids are added and lower the temperature.
2. When the roast is evenly browned transfer it to a slow cooker. Stir together the tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, mustard, chipotle pepper, cumin, chili powder and oregano, add a cup or so of water to help evenly dissolve and distribute the flavours. Pour over the pork. Cook for 6 or 8 hours or longer as needed depending on your slow cooker settings. Reverently return, carefully remove the top and behold your achievement!
3. Using a pair of tongs remove the bones and cartilage. With a pair of forks or tongs shred and pull the remaining meat and stir together with the broth. You have a lot of food. Enough to divide into two different meals. Here’s how. Remove and reserve half the proceeds for another meal then make tonight’s dinner with the remaining goodness in the pot.For the Pulled Pork Sandwiches
1. Craft and build your sandwiches by piling the pulled pork on the soft buns and topping with lots of Spicy Coleslaw. Serve and share!