Quinoa Cumin Bites
- prep time 20 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 15
Belén Welch's quinoa cumin bites feature cream cheese cubed and rolled in a red pepper-studded quinoa coating.
Recipe to Riches
½ cup (125 ml) quinoa
1 cup (250 ml) onion, chopped
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) grated carrot (about 2 small)
1 cup (250 ml) large flake rolled oats
½ cup (125 ml) diced sweet red pepper
½ cup (125 ml) grated Parmigiano Reggiano
¼ cup (50 ml) whole wheat flour
¾ tsp (4 ml) salt
¾ tsp (4 ml) each cumin and dried oregano
½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
3 oz (90g) PC Original Cream Cheese, cut in 15 cubes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line one baking sheet with parchment paper or foil; spray with cooking spray.
2. In small saucepan, combine quinoa and 3-1/2 cups (875 ml) water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cook, stirring frequently, until quinoa absorbs water and thickens like porridge, about 15 minutes. Transfer to large bowl to cool.
3. In food processor or blender, puree onion with eggs until smooth. Stir into quinoa. Stir in carrot, oats, red pepper, Parmigiano, flour, salt, cumin, oregano and pepper until combined.
4. Using ¼ cup (50 ml) measure, divide quinoa mixture into 15 portions and place on prepared baking sheets. Press a cube of cream cheese into centre of one portion of quinoa, smoothing quinoa around cheese to form ball. Return to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining quinoa portions and remaining cream cheese.
5. Bake until quinoa is browned and slightly crisp on the outside, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.