Raspberry Apple Pie
- prep time 20 min
- total time 95 min
- serves 6
2 discs Basic Pie Crust (see recipe)
2 small Royal Gala apples, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandoline
3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1 drizzle Milk or water for brushing
1. On a floured surface, roll the dough into thin discs. Line a 23-cm (9-inch) Pyrex or aluminum pie plate with 1 of the discs. Cut a slit in the middle of the other disc. Set aside.
2. Arrange the apple slices evenly on the bottom of the pie shell and press gently.
3. In a bowl, combine the raspberries, sugar and tapioca. Pile the mixture on the apples, creating a mound. Press gently. Brush the edge of the pastry with milk. Cover with the second piece of dough. Seal by crimping the top and bottom sheets of dough with a fork or your fingers. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer.
4. With the rack in the bottom position, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
5. Remove the plastic wrap. Place the frozen pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake until golden brown, about 75 minutes. Baking time for an unfrozen pie is about 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
6. Note: If you want the top crust to be a rich golden colour, brush it with egg wash before baking. To make the egg wash, lightly beat 1 egg with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) water.